Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I'll Have a Falafel with a Side of Attitude, Be'vakasha

After visiting our sister shul in Ashkelon (a mere 20 miles north of the Gaza strip), we stopped for lunch in the suburban town of Modi'in, halfway between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.  Looking for an authentic spot to dine, the majority of our group headed toward the nearest Falafel/Schwarma restaurant.

There, we were greeted with some very authentic Israeli food, and some very stereotypical local hospitality.  Ordering the schnitzel platter in a "yeladim" size for my 7 year old daughter, and 2 schnitzel plates for my older sons, the Rabbi assisted with our ordering to ensure it was conveyed correctly.  But when I paid, all 3 schnitzels were the same cost - apparently there was no such thing as "kid size", even though it was pictured prominently above the grill.  I think that's known as the "Alef-Bet-and-Switch"!

Meanwhile, in the immortal words of Abe, every local "Tom, Dick, and Chaim" pushed right past our group, ordered their lunches, and were given their food immediately.

27 minutes after placing my initial order (and 10 local lunchers later), I reminded the man behind the counter that I was still waiting for our lunch.  Reluctantly, he began his preparations, and minutes later my falafel balls and the kids schnitzel were being prepared.

Truly a "taste of the local culture", far from the tourist traps of the bigger cities.


P.S.  It was the best falafel I had in Israel!!

-- Mark Putter

No comments:

Post a Comment