Thursday, August 23, 2012

Welcome Home

This morning, we walked along the narrow paths and steep stairways of Safed, the highest town in Israel, and one of the four holy cities of the Talmud (along with Jerusalem, Hebron, and Tiberias).  The ancient city is known for its Kabbalist synagogues (including Itzhak Luria's synagogue below)


Safed is also known for its Artists Quarter, where small shops display paintings and works by local and world-renowned artists.  It was here that we came upon a small store named YomTov.com.  Walking in, the owner/artist (flipping back his peyes) told us he was from Florida, and his wife was from Safed.  "One day, I decided to move to Israel," he told us, "and I met my wife here, also an artist.  My work is the 'trippier' stuff on this wall, and my wife has the more artistic works behind me.  That's how we got here - so where are you from?"  "Great Neck, NY," we replied.

And with that, he gave us a great big, warm smile and said, "Welcome Home!"

-- Mark Putter

No comments:

Post a Comment